Sunday, February 8, 2009

Madison Elaine Davis has arrived!!!

Chris and I were blessed with our little angel Madison Elaine on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 6:52am. She weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and was 19 1/4 inches long. She has dark blond hair that is slightly curly and blue eyes. She is absolutely adorable!!
Here's the story of how Maddie got here. At around 3am Monday morning I woke up to use the restroom and "thought" my water may have broken. So, I woke up Chris and told him and of course he was more than ready to ship me to the hospital in Springfield. I told him I wasn't completely sure that it was my water and that I didn't know if we should go to the hospital or not. However, he insisted and we eventually got to the Labor and Delivery triage at about 6am that morning. They did a test on me to see if my water really had broken however, that came back negative. They called my Dr and he had me walk the halls for an hour and then ordered for a recheck. Well, they rechecked and the test still came back negative. The nurse told me that she felt almost positive that my water had broken and called the Dr again. This time he ordered a Fern test to completely rule in or out my water breaking. That test did come back positive so off to the Labor and Delivery room we went. At this point, I was extremely nervous and anxious because I thought this was a false alarm. They got us settled into our room and checked me and I was only a fingertip dilated. They started me on Pitocin and antibiotics because my water had broken and I was basically not dilated...along with the fact that I was 3 weeks early to have her. From 11am on Monday until 5am on Tuesday there was not much progress. I was having some contractions and told by the Dr on call to go ahead and get an epidural. So, after the epidural I was feeling great, however things were still not progressing. I was only dilated to 3cm by 5am on Tuesday morning and she had apparently crawled way back inside. The Dr. told me that he highly recommended a C section due to the lack of progress and that little Maddie may eventually start wearing out and having problems herself. So, Chris and I talked it over and decided we would proceed with the operation. Chris was all ready to come back with me after they boosted my epidural to surgical limits so he was excited that we were about to have a baby. However, like the rest of the labor time, this didn't work out the way we expected either. They tried to boost my epidural, however I was still feeling needle sticks on my abdomen after 2 injections so they told me that they would have to completely put me out for the surgery. This meant that Chris wasn't allowed back with me which started me crying pretty good. But, before I knew it I was waking up in the recovery room with an oxygen mask on with my beautiful little angel Madison laying on my chest and Chris talking to me telling me that our daughter was here and that she was beautiful. I was very groggy that entire day due to the anesthesia and the pain medication I was being given, so most of the first day is a blurr to me. Madison was having some problems keeping her temperature up and had to spend most of the first day under the warmers. However, after a day she started to regulate her temperature and she did just fine. Her weight on leaving the hospital was 5 lbs 3 oz. We were released from the hospital on Friday, February 6th and was able to take little Madison Elaine home with us. We are so excited to have her in our lives!!! Here are a few pictures from our stay.





No comments: